“Can’t innovate anymore, my ass,” Apple SVP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller said when unveiling the company’s behemoth new Mac Pro in June. “This is, without a doubt, the future of the pro desktop.”
Is the new Mac Pro the showstopper machine that Apple claims? We’ll soon find out. During a special event in San Francisco on Tuesday, Schiller said the Mac Pro will ship in December – “before the end of the year,” he added. Price: $2,999.
“It’s a computer that packs an incredible amount of power into a chassis one-eighth the volume of the current Mac Pro,” Schiller said. “It’s got the fastest processor we’ve ever put in a Mac. … And it’s got the fastest memory we’ve ever put in a Mac, too … up to seven teraflops of computing power.”
Like Apple’s other hardware, the new Mac Pro is “environmentally friendly,” Schiller said. It will also be manufactured in the United States.
- How a Free OS Will Pay Off for Apple
- Liveblog and Photos: Apple Rolls Out New Gadgets, Keeps Same Strategy
- Apple’s iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini Event, in Pictures
- Apple Unveils a Mightier iPad Mini
- Well Helllooooo New iPad Air. Have You Done Something Different With Your Hair?
- iLife, iWork Get Refreshed for OS X Mavericks and iOS, Free With Purchase of New Device
- Apple Unveils the New Thinner, Lighter MacBook Pro
- Apple’s New Mac Pro Will Ship In December
- Apple’s New Mavericks OS X: Free. That’s Right, Free.
- What to Expect From Apple’s Fall iPad Event (Spoiler: New iPads!)
- Apple Announces October 22 Event: “We Still Have a Lot to Cover”
- Apple Will Hold Fall iPad Event on October 22
- Say Hello to Mavericks, Apple’s New OS X Software
- Apple Previews New Mac Pro With Cylindrical Design, Double the Power