Hurricane Sandy is due to hit land on late Monday or early Tuesday, and some areas are already experiencing severe weather conditions due to wind and rain. If you’re in the hurricane’s path, make sure you and your iPad are prepared with this list of must have emergency apps.
First Aid and Disaster Preparedness
- Hurricane by American Red Cross (Free) – This is an iPhone only app, but it’s still handy to have on your iPad. Includes tracking tools and preparation tips.
- American Red Cross: Shelter View (Free)- A list of all shelter locations during emergencies.
- WebMD Free – For tips on symptoms and how to treat common injuries.
- Emergency First Aid & Treatment Guide ($1.99) – Includes CPR guidelines and tips on how to treat burns, shock, heart attacks, and more.
- SAS Survival Guide for iPad ($5.99) – The definitive guide for survival in any situation with text, videos, photos, and more.
- Flashlight (Free) – Uses the LED of your phone or ups the screen brightness on your iPad to provide light.
- Flashlight for iPhone, iPod, and iPad – This is another app with the same functionality. Works on all touch devices and offers bright light when you need it most. Also comes with a built-in SOS signal.
- Police Scanner+ ($2.99) – Keep an eye on what’s going on around you. Includes police, fire, EMS, airport, and railroad stations.
- NOAA Weather Radio HD ($2.99) – Provides NOAA Weather Radio feeds for up to the minute information about storm systems.
- TuneIn Radio (Free) – Offers access to more than 70,000 radio stations worldwide, so you can get information from sources like CBS, BBC, and more.
- Weather+ Free – Offers full screen video and hourly forecasts of weather conditions.
- NOAA Now (Free) – Keep up to date with the hurricane news with this free app from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- NOAA Hi-Def Radar ($1.99) – Gives a high definition look at the approaching hurricane, where it’s located, and where it’s headed.
- Hurricane HD ($3.99) – This is the ultimate hurricane tracking app with a live map, exclusive videos, and more.
- City Maps 2Go ($1.99) – This app offers more than 7800 maps worldwide. You can access these offline which is great if the power goes out.
- Pocket Earth Maps Offline ($2.99) – A comprehensive and interactive worldwide map with more than 100,000 locations. Can be used offline.
- CNN app for iPad (Free) – Get the latest up to date coverage with this app.
- Fox News for iPad (Free) – This app provides all of the Fox News coverage of the hurricane and more.
- ABC News for iPad (Free) – All the news from ABC.
- CBS News for iPad (Free) – All the news from CBS.
- AP Mobile (Free) – For all the latest stories from around the country, you’ll want to get AP Mobile. This is where the news sites get their news.
- Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin ($0.99) – A fun title to keep your mind off of things. Play as Lemmy, a creature trapped in a dolphin.
- Dead Stop ($0.99) – A fun zombie-themed tower defense game.
- Spell Rift for iPad ($2.99) – A great game for word lovers with plenty of gameplay.
- Letterpress (Free) – A multiplayer game that’s plenty of fun, great if you have internet access.
- Rayman Jungle Run ($2.99) – This fun game will keep the whole family entertained with its series of jumping and running mini games.
- Totem Runner ($0.99) – This gorgeous endless runner will keep you amused for hours on end.
- Finger Tied ($0.99) – A kinetic puzzle game that the whole family can play. It will have your fingers in knots.
- Crazy Taxi ($4.99) – This hit driving game from Sega has made its way to the iPad.